1985 20 HP Mariner Not Peeing

mille703

Recruit
I just dropped my pontoon in the water. I started it up with earmuffs ahead of the water, and water seemed to be peeing out of the top fine. Now that I'm in the water, it isn't peeing.

Is there any type of checklist to go through ahead of pulling the lower unit and replacing the impeller? I already have it but want to save the hassle if there is an easy fix.

Also I was only able to get the impeller and not any of the gaskets or o rings. Should I wait to get everything or can I get a new impeller in without issue?

Thanks to all!

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Did you try it with the earmuffs again? It could be that the pontoon is holding it up too far and the pump didn't get primed.

If it still doesn't pump with the earmuffs you probably have a damaged impeller or plugged water line. Both are easy to repair, just make sure all inlets and the water tube are clear when you replace the impeller, chunks of a broken rubber vane can block it right up.

Mi duckdown

Commander
If were I. I would drop the lower end and inspect what it looks like. at the least new impeller.

mille703

Recruit
The boat is in the water at the dock now. Sounds like there isn't a lot to do other than inspect the impeller right now. I can't hook up the earmuffs at my dock.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I once had a wasp make his nest in the tell tale, I poked a small wire into the hole and away it went. Was there any other of the exhaust or relief holes where the water was coming out?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
The boat is in the water at the dock now. Sounds like there isn't a lot to do other than inspect the impeller right now. I can't hook up the earmuffs at my dock.

You don't need the muffs if it is in the water. You are in a giant test tank :)

Before you drop the LU, go to your local hardware store and get some hose fitting adaptors and short lengths of assorted diameter tubing. While at the dock you can pull the thermostat and squirt water into both ports inside the housing. Also can squirt water in through the tell-tale outlet. That will give you an idea if the passages are open and may blow out any obstruction. Then button up and try again. If no-go, then drop the LU and squirt water up through the water tube and see if anything comes out the tell-tale. If OK (water out through tell-tale), then try an new impeller.

My experience has been that every time I've had a cooling issue the problem has been the impeller. However, the above tests don't take much to perform and may be easier than dropping the LU while in the water or pulling the boat to drop the LU.