2014 Mercury 150HP Fourstroke Lost Power/Alarms

FlipFlops365

Cadet
I bought a new pontoon and Merc 150 Fourstroke about 2 months ago. She had been running fine until this weekend when all of a sudden it started to lose power and then a long alarm tone sounded. I shut it off, waited about 5 minutes, then started it up again and anything over "no-wake" speed results in the motor shaking badly and the alarm tone sounding. I was able to limp back half way back to my boat slip (about 30 minutes) at "no-wake" speeds but then she died completely and I had to get towed. The prop spins fine and she's peeing strong.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm afraid I don't have any solutions, and I hesitated to even read your post because I also bought a new boat with a Merc 150 fourstroke a couple months ago. I want to keep believing they are indestructible so I am not going to give any input. I would be curious to know if yours vibrates while at idle speed when in gear though. I hope your troubles are minor and your dealer fixes you up under warranty quickly. Good Luck!

FlipFlops365

Cadet
I had an older pontoon with a 2002 Mercury 50HP Bigfoot on it. The motor had an internal electrical fire last year, so this year I decided to buy a brand new motor and have zero worries. Now I'm wondering if I should have bought a Honda instead.