1978 Mercury 80hp 2 stroke won't turn start-not starter

Notonthewater

Recruit
So I've had this motor for 4 years, every year it's a different problem, not a big deal, always get it fixed and it's usually caused by work from the previous year. Last year saw very minimum problems, and the beginning of this year was very hopeful. Up until a month ago when I was going to take it out, tried to test it in the yard, (learned my lesson too many times at the landing) and just got the dreaded click of the solenoid. Just thought my year old battery was low since I only charged it a couple hours beforehand. Full charge later, and the solenoid isn't even clicking anymore with the turn of the key, I figured I just shorted something out by goofing around with it trying to get it started and broke the solenoid. I noticed my my wiring harness is looking pretty corroded too, so I bought a new solenoid and harness, installed, and replaced any other wires that looked bad (pretty much half of them.) Once that task was done, it still doesn't click when I turn the key, the electric choke still worked whole time, so then I just thought maybe the key ignition was going bad on me too, so I bought a new one last week, installed it the other day and, nothing. I'm still learning about all this mechanical stuff by checking on forums and schematics, but I couldn't find anything with this problem. I was hoping that it was something stupid that I missed, (and it probably is,) in which case I hope it is, because I dumped a lot of money in this soon to be anchor. Hope that I can fix this up soon, because it takes forever to push my boat around on my trolling motor on a windy day. Also, if some one could point me in the direction of a electrical diagram, it would be great to call things by their names and know what they do. Thanks a lot!

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Probably 95% of all starter problems is electrical. Is the battery fully charged? Check all your connections. They must be very clean and tight. Check the lugs very closely for any signs of corrosion. They can corrode inside where you can't see it and cause the problem you are having. If you know how to do a voltage drop test you could check them that way. Another way would be to temporally substitute the cables with jumper cables. If all the cables have been confirmed good, try jumping the starter solenoid. Just because it clicks does NOT mean its good. If you are sure the solenoid is good have your battery load tested, regardless of age. This brings you to the starter itself. Remove it and have it tested by your local auto electric shop. They can rebuild it for you if needed and save you some money. Let us know [/FONT]

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There should be a wiring diagram for that motor on the maxrules web site. First test is to turn the ign key and hold it. Now wiggle the throttle handle a bit. If she cranks, either you have the throttle handle out of neutral, or the neutral interlock switch is intermittent. Second test is to jumper from red battery cable on starter solenoid to small yellow wire on starter solenoid. Solenoid should click, and Motor should crank, if the solenoid is connected properly and battery is providing voltage and current to solenoid. Also, check ground cable on starter. It must be connected to upper cowling support and to starter case.