1987 Mercury 70 HP oil injected 3 cylinder 1/2 trim running on ears

bukdwn

Recruit
Hello to all.
OK, so not sure why i did this in the first place. I have a 1987 Mercury 70 HP oil injected 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Runs very good.
I've been flushing the motor after every use in salt water. For some reason, (Stupidity) the last (2) times i flushed it, i had the motor raised half way up, (Not in the upright position!) I let it idle on the ears for about 3-5 min. The last time i took it out on the water, i had steam coming from the front lower water hole ( not sure what the hole is for on this motor) but it has always had water coming out of it! Anyways, now when i run it on the ears, the water from the tell-tail is completely cold and the water that comes from that little rubber pipe at the top of the cavitation plate is very hot!! there is also a small hole that i had never seen before right next to that little pipe that has hot water also coming out of it. The water is very hot after about 2 minutes of running it on the ears. From what the book say's, ( the motor must be in the upright position during and after flushing. This prevents water from passing into the power head through the drive shaft housing and exhaust ports during the flushing procedure. It also eliminates the possibility of residual water being trapped in the drive shaft housing or other passageways. This is what i've done so far, removed the thermostat and poppet valve cover and checked for any corrosion and also tested the thermostat by boiling it to the correct temp. Going to replace it anyways while it is removed. I'm pretty sure i messed something up! Not sure how to fix or what to fix! Im pretty good at mechanics and have most tools needed.
Any help would be appreciated.! I've looked many questions up on this sight, and had great results! Thanks, James

Last edited: