1996 Mariner 15 HP help

kenhall230

Cadet
I just picked up this motor and I know nothing about it. I removed the pro to search for a sheer pin so I can buy back ups and it appears that this style of lower unit does not have sheer pins. They have some type of brass ring with ribs inside of the prop. Is this a removable and replaceable part or do I have to replace the prop if that ring strips out? I'm am headed on a salmon trip in a river that has tons of logs so I need spares. Please advise.

Also do they still make jet drive kits for this old of a motor?

Thanks
Ken

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
It has a splined and pressed in brass sleeve, so you will need spare props and i doubt any new jet drives are made you may be able to find a used one.

kenhall230

Cadet
Wow , that really sucks. Props are super expensive compared to sheer pins. The previous motor I was using was a 7.5 hp game fisher. Im assuming my 15 hp mariner's prop is much stronger and will hold up better than the game fisher sheer pins.

G

Your Mariner is light years better then the gamefisher you used (which probably was a 2 blade prop). I had a 96 6hp merc which has the same design and I bottomed out a bunch of times and prop still fine. A spare prop and prop removal tool is a good for the emergency repair kit.