Mercury 9.9 hp two stroke running problems

natey

Cadet
I have a mercury 9.9 hp two stroke have been trying to get it running for months and im stumped. I did i thorough cleaning on carb multiple times, The motor will only start when in fast gear and i have to hold the tab back on the flywheel so i can pull it. Runs 10secs shuts down, wont start at all in neutral but it sounds like it really wants too , just doesn't. Please anyone out there give me some advice and help i need to get this running for this summer.
Thanks ,Nate

Star

Chief Petty Officer
what brand carb cleaner did you use? a spray can will not fix this you have to soak it for (x) number of hours. You have to remove all plastic and rubber parts the chemical will eat them up!!! You problem is a blocked passage in your carb!!!

Mi duckdown

Commander
Serial number? Year? ( i have to hold the tab back on the flywheel so i can pull it) Don't understand that.

natey

Cadet
Its a 1991 and i cook everything apart and cleaned it in a ultrasonic cleaner with simple green, and the thing about the tab it it hold the fly wheel so u cant pull it in gear to start only in neutral, if you hold it back the it will allow you to pull start it in gear.
Thanks ,Nate

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Do you brush your teeth with Simple Green? You can't breakup varnish and the stuff that is made by evaporated gas even with a ultrasonic cleaner. Go buy the most environmentally unfriendly carb cleaner and do the same thing.. follow the instructions!!! You have to adjust the locking assembly so that you can pull the rope when it is in neutral. It was made so you didn't start in gear. Good Luck!

natey

Cadet
Ok, so what is the most" environmentally unfriendly cleaner out there?
Thanks

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Any automotive parts store has cleaner in a 1/2 gal. can with a parts basket inside. About $20. How old is this motor... they now all have a fuel pumps. Carb kits are about $50. It is nice to have a kit but most can be rebuilt without one.

G

If you can post your serial/ model # we can help you alot better

natey

Cadet
I was never able to find the serial numbers on my motor and the ones that are left are so faded i cant see them at all.
Thanks

natey

Cadet
Yes i did see that link, so would u think that a fuel pump would be the problem or something else?
Thanks