1999 Mercruiser 3.0 Starts then Stalls Immediately

Bangarng

Cadet
New guy here! I am trying to troubleshoot my 99 Regal LSR 1800. It was running just fine then suddenly stalled/died. It turns over when primed, but dies after a second or two. I checked the carb and there isn't any gas trickling down into the barrels after it started but in the beginning yes. Another forum recommended I change the fuel filter so I ordered one. Is there anything else I should check? Thanks in advance. This forum look pretty awesome (Loving the cartoon strips).

Last edited:

Bangarng

Cadet
So I changed out to fuel filter that was attached to the fuel pump. It starts better but still nothing. I picked up a carb rebuild kit so next is that if simply changing the carb filter doesn't work.

Bangarng

Cadet
Changed out the carb filter and still nothing. I also checked the fuel lines this morning and they are ok too. My only guess now is the carb so I picked up a rebuild kit and we will see what happens.

Bangarng

Cadet
Ok so I rebuilt and soaked the carb and now after I prime it (full throttle, then ease it back to 1/4 where it "clicks" the boat starts up better but still dies after 5-6 seconds so it is STILL doing it. The only thing I didn't replace in the carb rebuild was the floater, and my accelerator pump didn't have a check ball in there so I left it out. So again after a prime it will start up fine all day long but dies after 5-6 seconds.

Is there any way the fuel pump or floater could be causing this? I am out of ideas.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Any help would be appreciated PLEASE! Thanks.[/FONT]

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Might want to try the I/O forum. This is the Mercury outboard forum.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Check with gas tank temporary hosed to fuel pump ,rules out tank and contents and antisiphon valve .Mine this year had fuel filter collapsed in carb line ,filter on top of filter then float stuck needle valve closed . The stuff that was in the filters was the color off the elements, always premium gas .stored full with stable .pumped last years out with cheap Auto Zone electric and it would still rum mowers .If fuel pump is bad can act similar u might be able to take apart and if diaphragm leaks there is a hose on mine going to dump in carb . .

Last edited:

Bangarng

Cadet
Sweet thank you! I did pull the line off the tank and test in a gas can with the same results so I wonder if it's the anti-siphon valve. So ok after work I am going to get a new siphon valve and float, then take apart the tank and check the hose and screen, then replace the valve, and if that doesn't resolve it play with the idle needle and replace the float. If none of that works all that can be left is the fuel pump I think, or straight to the mechanic!!! Thanks fellas.

alldodge

Staff member
New guy here! I am trying to troubleshoot my 99 Regal LSR 1800. It was running just fine then suddenly stalled/died. It turns over when primed, but dies after a second or two. I checked the carb and there isn't any gas trickling down into the barrels after it started but in the beginning yes. Another forum recommended I change the fuel filter so I ordered one. Is there anything else I should check? Thanks in advance. This forum look pretty awesome (Loving the cartoon strips).

As Wired mentioned this one needs to be in the Merc I/O for more help. Do you know if you have any gas in the tank? It was running just fine and then stalled. You crank it over and get no gas coming from the carb. You changed the filter and there was no gas in it.

Bangarng

Cadet
Yes sir there still is gas in the tank. I added 10 gallons but still the same issue!

As for the thread location I don't think I have the ability to move the thread.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes sir there still is gas in the tank. I added 10 gallons but still the same issue!

As for the thread location I don't think I have the ability to move the thread.

You cannot move the thread but for next time suggest starting it there, you will have a lot more comments come in.

I take it you have a spin on fuel water separator filter. Take your fuel filer off and see if it has any gas in it, if it does not fill it with fuel and reinstall.

Pull the 2 connectors off the coil, then disconnect the fuel line going to the carb. Get a container and place it at the end of the fuel line or have someone hold it to the container. Crank the engine over and see if you get fuel coming out. If no fuel is seen, disconnect the fuel line from the tank, and as jimbo mention put it in a gas can, then crank again. It will take a bit of cranking but not a whole lot. Also don't crank it anymore then 10 to 15 seconds then let the starter cool for a few minutes before trying again. If this doesn't get fuel to come out the carb line, you probably need a fuel pump.

To verify you need a pump, remove the line from the fuel filter going to the pump and place it in the gas can and try again.

Bangarng

Cadet
Thank you for the detailed instructions AllDodge. I will test out the fuel pump if the siphon gasket replacement/float/idle adjustment doesn't resolve it. :D

Bangarng

Cadet
Update: So I punched out the siphon valve yesterday it ran for a long time but NOW it's stalling out. I played with the choke manually and it will idle ok once it is at operating temperature, so either the electric choke is bad or I hooked it up wrong.

The problem is that it's wide open from a cold start. Once I "choke" it out some it stays running and I know it needs to be closed. Any tips for adjusting the electric choke?

:confused: Any further help would be appreciate. Thanks in advance fellas!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Update: So I punched out the siphon valve yesterday it ran for a long time but NOW it's stalling out. I played with the choke manually and it will idle ok once it is at operating temperature, so either the electric choke is bad or I hooked it up wrong.

The problem is that it's wide open from a cold start. Once I "choke" it out some it stays running and I know it needs to be closed. Any tips for adjusting the electric choke?

How long was a long time and was it on muffs or in the water?

The choke is adjusted with the engine dead cold as in overnight. The screws on the side of the choke are loosened slightly. Once loosened, you should be able to rotate it until the choke closes. The closer of the plate should leave about 1/8 inch gap at the top. Once adjusted retighten the screws.

Bangarng

Cadet
How long was a long time and was it on muffs or in the water?

The choke is adjusted with the engine dead cold as in overnight. The screws on the side of the choke are loosened slightly. Once loosened, you should be able to rotate it until the choke closes. The closer of the plate should leave about 1/8 inch gap at the top. Once adjusted retighten the screws.

AllDodge,

You are a genius, I adjusted accordingly and it started right up up the first time and ran until i turned her off. The key was waiting until the engine was DEAD cold :D

I want to thank all of you for your help. I believe the initial problem was the anti-siphon valve. I hope that any newbie like me who runs into this issue troubleshoots their anti-siphon valve first. I could have saved $200 and a week and a half of my time if I knew better, however I learned A LOT about boat engines and carbs.

Last edited: