78 MT v180, not shfting right

hpcma1

Cadet
i have forward no reverse, and then it clinks until it clunks into forward. at a speed to fast to safely go onto a trailer i have no "no wake" speed. then today i tried adjusting it, and then i got reverse but then no forward, or should i be doing this on water? every marina, said the boats to old to touch so im kinda screwed here? one guy said it was the shift cam, even though i told him i didnt know crap about adjusting thse cables. ive read a few diagrams, but they say stuff about barrles on the lines. i only have 1 barrel and it doesnt spin, and thats on the line going to the outboard...i can manualy shift it nto reverse and forward with my hands, if the shift cable is disconeccted????

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It sounds like the shift and throttle cables are reversed. What is a 78 MT v180 - A boat? That's no help. What kind of motor are you working on?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, with the shift cable disconnected at the motor, the shift slider should be about 1/2 way in it's track. If so, that is correct. Now set the throttle to neutral. Now adjust the shift cable barrel (usually black plastic) to fit the clamp, when the shift cable is installed to the shift slider. Make sure you working on the shift cable. When the throttle is moved to forward, the shift cable is the first to move.