Merc Sport Jet 175 Stator Assembly Seal Failure

Big Cat Dad

Recruit
Novice mechanic skills here. I noticed gear lube leaking out of my rear stator assembly in my Merc 175XR2 Sport Jet after a day of fishing. I disassembled the stator housing for inspection and my suspicions were confirmed. My seal was essentially melted and in very bad shape. There was a lot of water in the housing. Question is:
1.) Is this a common issue that needs to be replaced during regular maintenance. I change the stator assembly lube on a regular maintenance schedule.
2.) What was the cause of the seal being in THAT bad of shape?
3.) Should I be concerned about other damage possibly done to the unit?
4.) Should I just replace the seal, protector seal and bushings and let it ride?
5.) I have ordered Oil seal water pump base (14381), 2 rear stator bushings (835473) & protector seal (853950). Should that do it?
6.) I also downloaded an older version of my maint manual and it said I'll need a special tool (91-83165M) to pull the seal, however, I was able to remove the seal by hand. I'm assuming because it was so damaged.
7.) It also says I'll need a special tool for installation (91-850831). Will I need this tool for installation? My pump # is OE424206 & Engine OE427152

Any advice would be much appreciated.