2007 Merc 15HP 4 stroke / 14" starcraft won't plane out

odi8

Recruit
I bought a 2007 StarCraft 14' LSS with a 2007 Merc 15HP 4 stroke this spring which ran pretty well my first trip out (although it seemed the motor might be mounted a little high b/c it would come out of the water in some waves or sharp corners and rev-out, it is hard-mounted to boat I assume by dealer) but it got partially swamped in a big storm and hasn't been running great since. Put new gas in tank, drained carb but it doesn't seem to have the same power that it did previously and the boat doesn't plane out very easily. Oil didn't seem to have any water in it (the power head didn't submerge). Plus, The little shallow water handle also broke off, which I replaced but couldn't get the spring on right to set it so it would actually stay in the shallow water position. Any suggestions?? Thanks,

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Have you added any weight to your boat? 200# can make a big difference to a small motor. maybe the floatation has absorbed some water. My 14' StarCraft has maybe 60 or 70# pounds at the hitch, put 3" of water in it and you will see what I mean. My boat starts to plane out at about 12 mph, and tops out at 22mph on a cool day at sea level. I did put on a Solas ss prop on it though. You need to put one of those cheap tachs ($50) to see where you are. The carb on that engine can get messed up with any kind of particle or varnish deposits. I just rebuilt mine, it would run fine for awhile 30 or 40 minutes and not miss a beat and then shut off like no fuel was in the bowl. It would start up and run without priming it or anything. It wasn't the pump because the pump will cave the sides of my fuel tank in if I don't open the tank vent, the motor runs smooth as glass. I cut the filter in half just to see what was in there. There were pieces of the famous mercury fuel line liner that disintegrates in 2 years, but not enough to stop fuel flow totally and the elements of the filter were intact so it shouldn't get to the fuel pump but it sure shut me down.

odi8

Recruit
I haven't added weight and there is no floor so not sure where any extra weight would be sitting, plus it sits on a lift with the plug out for days at a time so it would have a chance to dry out. It seems to plane out eventually with one or two people but with only one person it starts to porpoise pretty good. Doesn't do that with a second person in it. Guess I'll try taking it to my dealer to see what they have to say if no one else has any ideas. Have added seafoam to the gas and will try a new fuel filter as well just in case. Fuel pump was new in Spring. THanks for the reply!