I twisted off a bolt that holds the water jacket on the head

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbrownarcher

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 XR-2 Mercury enging 150 hp . I was torquing all the engine bolts and when I got to the water jacket on the left side of the engine one of the bolts was over torqued so i was backing it off and twisted it off. I have tried to use an easy out but it does not budge. we have drilled all the way through the bolt and it does not come out . What else is there to try?
Or someone direct me to a head for that engine ?

Thanks,
Nate

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Drill the remainder of the bolt completely out ( you may want to use a drill press for better control) and use a thread repair insert. Heli-coil is the most common name, but i have found EZ-LOK to be a better product.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Penetrating oil, for multiple days, and heat. If you get the bolt good and hot sometimes it will break the bond.

Good luck! I broke all of them on mine....

tbrownarcher

Seaman Apprentice
i took it to a guy who drilled it out .... tapped it and the bolt is off center a bit but hardly noticeable ..... we will see what happens i'm putting it on the motor right now
thanks,
Nate

scumfrogmillionaire

Seaman Apprentice
What were the results? Did it leak? I have a very similar problem where the thermostat housing bolts are stuck in the engine block. They will not extract so I'm thinking of just drilling them out and retapping.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Don't break the bolt. Use heat, penetrating oil, a torque wrench and prayer if needed to coax it out. Breaking it off is the last resort, as the repair may not work due to tolerances.

Status
Not open for further replies.