1992 Mercury 175HP -- Started, Now Doesn't

cscott711

Cadet
I bought a 1992 Bayliner Trophy with a 1992 Mercury 175HP. It started up great when I bought it. Turned it on and off with no problems multiple times. Brought it home and tried to start it up in my driveway and it just cranks and cranks, but doesn't even try to fire up. I've replaced the plugs, checked the safety switch, added 30 gallons of new fuel, made sure the throttle arm is neutral, but also tried throttling up out of gear, probably a couple other things too. I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

sam am I

Commander
Step 1: Oxygen, Fuel, Spark = Fire, gotta have all 3!!

What have you done(w/at the engine/cylinders) to make sure these 3 things(Okay we can sorta skip the O2) are all present?

Last edited:

cscott711

Cadet
Perhaps I'm in over my head, but I don't really even know where to start beyond what I've already done.

sam am I

Commander
K, got some tie wire or thicker solder? Pull a spark plug out and wrap the wire/solder around the threads of the plug and tie(electrically) the other end of the wire/solder to the engine block ground.

Crank the motor over, watch the plug, you see a spark?

Last edited:

cscott711

Cadet
K, got some tie wire or thicker solder? Pull a spark plug out and wrap the wire/solder around the threads of the plug and tie(electrically) the other end of the wire/solder to the engine block ground.

Crank the motor over, watch the plug, you see a spark?

I will have to try this tomorrow. If I see a spark, then that would narrow it down to oxygen or fuel?

sam am I

Commander
Yup, Air is probably okay, it'll be fuel.

I assume you pumped the primer bulb and used the enricher thus far?

cscott711

Cadet
Yup, Air is probably okay, it'll be fuel.

I assume you pumped the primer bulb and used the enricher thus far?

Yep, primer bulb has been pumped...it was pretty hard. I could hear fuel flowing through the tubes on the outside of the motor. There's also a white semi-clear tube just after the fuel pump and you can see fuel inside that too. I've pressed in the key while turning it on. I've tried to avoid flooding the engine as I've had that happen before on old boats.

sam am I

Commander
K, maybe spark then sounds. I was thinking way flooded but sounds like not.

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
JAN. Piece of wire with a clip on each end. One end on tha threads and other to tha block (ground). Make sure tha plug is not near tha hole. It might give ya a surprise!

Dukedog

Captain
JAN. Piece of wire with a clip on each end. One end on tha plug threads and other to tha block (ground). Make sure tha plug is not near tha hole. It might give ya a surprise!

When ya'll gonna get tha "bugs outta this NEW format!!!! Sorry for tha double post.....

Last edited: