Mercury 90hp Inline 6 Power Tilt/Trim Fuse

kmk89

Seaman
I have 1978 Mercury 90 hp inline 6 with the two ram power tilt/trim and external pump. My pump is the older style single solenoid system setup and not the dual system solenoid setup. From my readings, the dual solenoid system has two fuses, a 90 amp and a 20 amp fuse. I couldn't find any fuses on my power tilt/trim pump system. My question is, should there be a fuse somewhere, and if so, how many amps should the fuse be? I just rewired my entire boat, and this is the last thing to rewire. I am a bit worried about the wires on pump because they have a few burn marks on the wire. I don't think the wire is the correct size for the unit. Right now, the wires from the pump to the battery look to be AWG 8.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There were no fuses on that unit from the factory. If you look closely, you will see the down wiring is heavier than the up wiring. The solenoid is on the up wiring. I am not sure what to suggest. Certainly clean all connectors and inspect all wires for corrosion, even under the insulation.