1963 Mercury 110.9.8 hp Still having shifting problems.

Scott53

Seaman
Thanks for all of the output on my motor I have gotten.It's been a big help.[Update] I've reassembled the gear assembly with some new parts and I finally was able to get the motor to start on Sat 7/19.It started after a few pulls.I need to figure out the throttle on the tiller as to where is the start position,shift and full throttle.Anyways, the motor would kick into reverse once I got it started.It would be in neutral then the shifter went into reverse.At the same time the throttle was almost to full throttle( my mistake).I tried to move the shift lever unto a different spot when in N and started it again and that seemed to work.Another problem I'm having is when the motor has run after starting and then I kill the motor,I tried the shifter lever.It would go into R and N but not F.I tried moving the shift lever a few time and the same thing happens.I tried moving the prop and that worked.It went into F.After that I was able to shift correctly while the motor was not working.My 2 question is: Do I need to or able to adjust the shifter so it won't shift into R while running.Second:Almost sounds like the first question but what causes the not shifting into F when the motor is not running.I'm thinking about dissasembling the lower end again but will wait untill I have some suggestions on what to do and what to look for.Thanks.

​Scott53