1993 Mariner 90hp 3 cyl low RPMs

Berninger349

Cadet
Having trouble getting to WOT with my Mariner. This year for some reason I cannot get the rpms above 3000 in gear under load but yet at the dock in neutral I can move the idle lever way up and get the engine to go wot over 5000. Is this an engine problem or a linkage problem with my remote control?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you are having a fuel problem. Fuel requirements under load and in neutral are day and night. What does your squeeze bulb feel like when you are trying to get to WOT? If it's soft to firm, squeeze it a few times and see if the engine goes on up. If so, fuel pump. If sucked in, fuel delivery from tank to engine problem. If bulb test is ok and engine is not running smoothly you are dropping a cylinder and I would assume electrical for that and may be as simple as a new set of plugs.

Mark

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Definitely check the spark and make sure it can jump a gap of at minimum 3/8" as guys seem to use that distance that post here. You could have weak or NO spark on just one cylinder and it may seem to idle ok or a little rough but won't get out it's own way when you are in gear.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Mark, I'll try the bulb test. Is a fuel pump hard to install?

No just follow directions that come with the kit in detail. There are 2 check valves and must be installed in the correct direction for it to work right. if necessary, take a picture or draw a sketch of your old one when you take it apart. Don't be alarmed if the new parts are slightly different. Follow the directions.

On this or spark, you have to start somewhere. Either is a guess till you eliminate it and go to the other.

Good luck,
Mark

Nathan Bond

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Mark, I'll try the bulb test. Is a fuel pump hard to install?

Not at all. Search youtube and there are videos that will show you exactly how to do it. I just did mine for the first time a few weeks ago and it was a piece of cake.

Berninger349

Cadet
Spark plugs and primer bulb OK. Tried non-ethanol gas no change. Engine runs smooth but won't go over 3000. Should be 5500 WOT. What next?