1980 Mercury 50hp Thunderbolt - pull starter doesn't seem to engage with flywheel

jparmelee

Recruit
I am very new to boating and outboards - this motor is pull-start only and I had it running with some help and then put it on the water and pulled a few times without it starting then it felt different. Now when I pull on the cord there is much less resistance (the recoil works) because it isn't engaging with the flywheel below. It is in neutral - I attached a picture of what it looks like underneath, I am not finding any information on this - I put an arrow where there looks like a wire is loose (a spring?), and there is wear on the parts - I just can't figure out how this is supposed to work! Any information would be great, maybe someone recognizes that something doesn't look right here - hopefully I can get the pull cord turning over the engine again as I would love to get in the water! Thanks.

jparmelee

Recruit
Ok - figured out that Pawl has the end sheared off of it, for $20 I'm getting a replacement shipped to me. I tried turning it over and using it but even with a Cobalt bit I can't make an indent in the metal to make the indentation necessary for the end of the spring to go in.