1994 Mercury Tracker 90hp OB - water Pump replacment

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am hoping you guys can help me out. I am helping my neighbor (more like a brother) get his boat back in shape after a difficult few years . ( He needs to get back to doing the things he loves like fishing). In that time the boat was sunk twice the tilt and trim smoked and much more.

While he was in the hospital we took his boat (with permission) and got the motor running, cleaned the mud, patched all the tears in the seats (until he can replace them some day) and I fixed the electrical problems. Now he is home I replaced the Tilt and Trim converting it from a three wire system to a 2 wires system. (Probably more information than I want to share but I wanted to let you know where we are coming from.)

We are pretty close to water worthy.
We have two major items left the bilge pump and I feel the water pump. I feel the we should replace the water pump since he has NEVER replaced it since 94. Taking it to a shop for a lower unit service is out of the budget (because of everything else that also needs to be done). I told him we could do it but he was concerned that it will open up a mechanical rats nest.

Personally I figure for the cost of overheating it is a no brainer (just do it) and I do mine every three years.

How often do you change the pump on a mercury OB ?
If there is a indicator stream should we leave it alone ?
Is this job something best left to a pro (I was an aircraft mechanic so i'm not totally inept ) ?

I appreciate the help

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fairly simple job and it should be done.-------U-TUBE will have a video to help you build confidence.--------Was the motor starter imediately after the recovery from sinking ??

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the response

Yes we bailed it out and got it running right away. We disconnected the fuel lines and ran stabilized gas directly into the engine.(I also purged the carbs to make sure they had fuel and not water in the bowls.) We then fogged it heavily and coated the whole engine with silicone spray. It sat for a few months in his garage while he was in the hospital.

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Holy poop batman! Mercury makes that dirt simple by the looks of it. (my Johnson 150 is way more complicated) Does anyone know the torque of the bolts ?