Mercury 1987 115 HP 6 CYL - Questions?

kotts323

Cadet
Just bought a boat, first time boat owner so go easy on me. The motor is 1987 Mercury 115 HP 6 cylinder. Apparently it is also know as "The Tower of Power". I brought the motor to a marina and had the guy go over the motor. Good compression in all six 140-145 PSI, oil change, fuel lines, filters, impeller change, carb rebuild, and new control box. A few questions now that I have it home and using it.
1) The technician disconnected my oil tank. Said that the motor has a history of not mixing correctly, so he told me to mix oil with gas in the gas tank. Any problem with that?
2) There are two filters. One small filter inside the motor case, the other inside the back storage compartment. How often should those filters be replaced?
3) The motor is a little difficult to start, will cut out when in neutral after about 30 seconds, and I have had lost pressure twice in the ball (fuel line). To start it I have to choke it, then after a few seconds of trying to start it I need to push up the throttle. Seems to not be getting enough gas in the idle position. Could this be a carb problem, maybe needs to be adjusted after they were rebuilt? Or is it something like an enricher. If I turn the key and press in, you can hear a click and what sounds like fuel moving through the line so I'm not so sure it is the enricher.
Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Thanks.