replacing impeller on 2006 mercury 25 shaft appears to have been welded by prev owner

jagmanjoe

Recruit
Ok, this seems a little crazy to me but, I decided as preventative maint. to replace the impeller on my 25hp 2 cycle. The old impeller was a bear to get off but I just kept easing it side to side with a screwdriver. Once I got it off, it looked like there was some residue on the shaft so I cleaned it up first. Then applied some marine grease and dropped the old impeller on the shaft (gaskets, etc replaced) and the impeller would not slide down on the keyway. I have never replaced one before but have a fair amount of auto engine experience. I decided to slide the impeller down without using the keyway and it would not go beyond the start of the keyway flat area of the shaft. I started looking closely and I am seeing light signs of shaft corrosion and can feel that the shaft has a bump right at the keyway flat like it is slightly off center. Is it possible that someone before could have welded the shaft as some sort of fix and, if so, any suggestions on my best options?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Joe H
jagmanjoe