mariner 45HP water pump seal washer which way?

sjoefl01

Seaman
I am changing the impeller in the water pump on my classic 50. The last time I did this I had a really hard time getting the rubber seal to seal between the copper tube and the top of the pump housing. For some reason they put a notch in the top of the housing that makes it difficult to get the seal in. It has to fit perfectly or the water will not go up the tube to the engine. I saw that there was a washer missing between the rubber seal and the pump housing. This washer is cup shaped and I can't tell from the parts breakdown whether the flat back of the cup faces toward the engine or the propeller. I am thinking that the washer female part will receive the rubber seal into the fold. I may be backward though. Perhaps the rubber seal should seat against the flat side of the seal.

sjoefl01

Seaman
No Title

I bought two the nylon washers. The pump only uses one. I just figured I would damage one of lose it. This picture shows both sides. Does anybody know a trick for getting this all in straight? Okay, I figured the washer out. It goes inside the pump housing. It didn't look like that in the diagram. Now all I need is a trick to install the rubber seal. I have no idea why they cut the slot in the side of that housing. It means if that seal doesn't get seated correctly the water will squirt out the side and miss the tube. You can't see it when the lower unit is installed. There just has to be a mechanics trick for this job.

Attachments

• photo200768.jpg
    photo200768.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: