Impeller Replacement 1992 - 135hp Mercury Black Max

powderhoundbrr

Seaman Apprentice
1992 - 135hp Mercury Black Max

So I brought the ole boat out of storage put the muffs on, sent my kid to turn on the water, and started the motor. Unfortunately my kid got distracted along the way and ended up looking at bugs and not turning the water on.

So I started up the motor and didn't realize there was no water until the overheating alarm sounded (good to know it works anyway). Shut it off and turned on the water and re-started and no water was being pumped. So I took off the lower unit and the of course the impeller was shredded. I ordered a new one but I am wondering if there might be anything else I wrecked in the lower unit besides the impeller.

Is there a water pump in there as well that might need to be replaced?

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Well, the impeller(w associated surrounding housing) is the pump........and probably didn't hurt anything else but, ya might have pushed some "Shreds" up inside the jackets/ports etc, w the hose if the pieces were small'ish enough. Ya might want to air hose things out backwards while it's apart if ya can, e.g., perhaps pulling the thermostats and poppets hose blowing air in reverse of water flow back downwards through the PH.

What kind of bugs? iboat forum bugs?

Last edited: