1969 Mercury 7.5 bog down and die

yoyoholic

Cadet
I have a 69 Mercury 7.5. it will idle all day, and run great at high speed for a short time, then bog down and die. The bulb stays hard with no leaks anywhere from the gas lines, carb, or pump. Also I haven't noticed any sliver streaks in the water from fuel. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks for reading.

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would check the fuel pump, sounds like it is having trouble keeping up, could also be the filter is clogged up or passage from float bowl to jets partially clogged not allowing enough fuel to pass.

yoyoholic

Cadet
Thanks ddwilson! I will take a look at it today! Thank goodness for my motor guide trolling motor!

yoyoholic

Cadet
Carb and jets were exsteamly dirty! All better now! It I could only figure out how to get the choke hooked back and working properly it think it will run fine.

yoyoholic

Cadet
Update!!!!!..,. Put the carbs back on, and the motor won't start at all! I guess its time to revisity work! Lol

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check and see if the plugs are wet, If they are dry then it is not getting fuel. Check and make sure idle adjustment is @ 1 turn out and make sure the choke is closing. Might try squirting some fuel in the carb and see if it will start.
Doug

yoyoholic

Cadet
Update!!!!.... THE IDLE SCREW! in my hast I tightened the screw all the way ! I backed it off 1 1/4 turn, and it fired right up! Thanks so much for the tip. You are awesome!