Mercury XR2 SportJet Ignition Question

o0LiquidDark0o

Recruit
Hey guys. I have a 2000 Sugar Sand Marine Heat with the 120-hp Mercury XR2 SportJet engine.

I went to fire the boat up yesterday for an afternoon on the river and it wouldn't start. After troubleshooting for a bit, I found that I didn't have spark on any of the cylinders. After tons of online reading and research, I found CDI's ignition troubleshooting guide here (http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs/cdi_troubleshooting_guide_-_2012_1?e=2044661/2001100). The bottom of page 87 is where I'm looking.

Step 1 instructs me to "cut the black/yellow stop wire from each CDM module." I did that, turned the engine over, and found that I have spark again on all cylinders. That's great! But the problem is I have no idea what that means. Does it mean my RPM limiter is bad?

Any insights or advice you guys might have to share would be hugely appreciated!

sam am I

Commander
I think it means your lanyard was pulled!..........The blk/yel wire is the wire that carries the kill signal(active low) that comes from either the Ignition switch in the "off" position or the lanyard cord being pulled(they're in parallel). "Cutting" it I assume just let it float high(took the active low away..) and therefor allowing spark once again.

Btw, If you start the motor now w those wires cut, the Ig. switch(or lanyard) will no longer be able to shut the motor off........Just a side note :facepalm:

Last edited:

o0LiquidDark0o

Recruit
Oh my God--you're right. The lanyard looked to be attached, but upon closer inspection it was only half on. Luckily, I didn't actually cut the black and yellow wires as the CDI guide instructed--I just unplugged them. I'll hook everything back up and see if I can get her to fire.

On the brightside, I learned a lot about my boat's ignition system :lol: