78 Mercury 80HP/800 top end power help

jdoebler

Cadet
I have a 78 Mercury 80 hp, It has no top end power. I have checked the rectifier, stator, switchbox, and and the trigger. All seem to be within ohm tolerance, and functioning correctly. I had the carbs completely rebuilt this past winter, replaced the fuel pump, and all the fuel lines. Boat was running about 45 mph at WOT, and now it only trolls at 10 mph. I have an average cyl compression of 136 psi. Fuel delivery at the main seems to be sufficient and primer bulb has been replaced as well, I have racked my brain any suggestions would be appreciated.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Two things will limit RPM and power.

Fuel flow. If there is any type of restriction so the fuel pump cannot pump a strong stream. Even a zip tie too tight holding the cables, wiring to the fuel hose and pinching the hose, to a poor sealing O-ring at a quick disconnect fitting allowing air to suck into the system. Install a clear hose in place of the fuel hose to the carbs. Run the motor and watch for any air bubbles passing through. If found, there is an air leak, find it and seal it up. Remember to remove that clear hose once finished, it is not designed for fuel use, only as a very short term testing tool.

The second thing that will limit power is limited spark voltage. Voltage must be high enough to throw a hot blue arc across a 7/16 inch gap. There is a low speed windings and high speed windings. There is NO RELIABLE Ohms test to prove high speed voltage. A DVA Meter or a DVA Adapter for use with any Volt/Ohm meter must be used to verify high speed stator voltage.

NEVER assume any electrical parts is at fault without PROVING the fault. There is NO RETURN on electrical parts, some get very expensive.

CDI Electronics has a very good Ignition Troubleshooting Guide available FREE

CDI Electronics Practical Outboard Ignition Troubleshooting

It covers ALL merc ignitions, find yours and follow the directions, test and be sure what is or isn't working correctly.

Repost your progress and any questions you may have.

jdoebler

Cadet
GA_Boater

The work was done and all seemed to work fine and then it resorted to the stated condition.

jdoebler

Cadet
CharlieB

Thanks for the link I'll check it out and let you know my findings. I will have to find the DVA Adapter to test the high end of the stator.