1984 Mercury 150 Shift shaft

Dan14153

Recruit
Hi guys,

I just dropped my lower unit for the first time to replace my shift shaft bushing/seal. The problem I have now is when removing the bushing, the shaft lifted up with it and will no longer shift the motor into forward or reverse gear, it just spins. I don't have the tools to remove the prop shaft to get at the shift shaft so is there any other way to get it back in there or am I heading to the mercury dealer!

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1984 Mercury 150 Shift shaft

The main tool you need is the one to remove the cover nut, item 75 in this link:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - GEAR HOUSING (PROPELLER SHAFT)(WITHOUT A DRIVE SHAFT NUT) - 150 H.P. XR-2 MARATHON MAGNUM (V-6) (1978-1985 COMBINED BOOK)

If it is not seized, you may get away with using a punch to loosen it and replacing the nut when you build it back up or you can make your own removal tool using a piece of pipe, the diameter of the nut. Cut some notches into one end to match to nut slots and leave the other end long enough that it fits aft of the back end of the prop shaft and drill a hole in that end that you can get a bar through to rotate the pipe to loosen the nut.

The shift shaft lifts up because item 39, E clip in this link:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - GEAR HOUSING (DRIVE SHAFT)(WITH A DRIVE SHAFT NUT) - 150 H.P. XR-2 MARATHON MAGNUM (V-6) (1978-1985 COMBINED BOOK)

fell out of place at some time or wasn't there to start with. You may find it in there when you get the carrier out.

Here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual which will be enough to show you how to get the carrier out after the cover nut is removed. Download it soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

MERCURY - MERCURY V-6 (EXCEPT 300 AND 3.4L).: Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home

See the removal starting on page 334.

Gerry

Dan14153

Recruit
Hey guys I really appreciate the quick replies! I got the shift shaft back in and the lower unit re installed and shifting!!