1969 Mercury 100hp slow cranking, won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSOFM

Recruit
I just acquired a 1969 Merc 1000 That is having a very hard time turning over. It has a brand new (not re-manufactured or used) starter and solenoid. When the starter engages the flywheel it might get a 1/4 turn then stop. I'm using a fully charged new battery (845 cca) I can pull all the plugs and the starter will spin the engine with no problem at all so the motor isn't seizing up or sticking. What should I look for next?

Gibsonman2005

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm having the same problem on my evinrude lark iii. I'm also curious to see some recommendations on this one...

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
Remove all the plugs, so it can spin and then one by one do a compression test.

Got another battery to try ??

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've been through this scenario a gazillion times. Check your battery cables and terminals. If a terminal is heating up you can bet you have found your problem. Absolutely must have good clean connections. I have found corrosion on the wires inside the terminals as well as corrosion between the terminals and battery posts. If this is not the answer then the brushes inside the starter are either worn or very dirty. Matter of fact, just today I had a similar problem on a 1972 Mercury 402... bad connection at battery cable terminal on solenoid. I just removed the cable, cleaned up the terminal on the cable and on the solenoid (starter relay) using a knife and screw driver to scrape away all corrosion and oxidation... looked for a small wire brush but couldn't find one. If you continue to try to crank the engine in this condition you will damage the points inside the starter relay which can result in the same symptoms... If you can jump across the relay and get good cranking speed then you know it is the relay giving you problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.