99 Mercury Bigfoot 25hp Intermittent no start problem

1Lhorn

Cadet
Just got my first (used) boat and already problems. Klamath 15 foot with a console and 99 Mercury Bigfoot 4 stroke.
Look it out today for the maiden voyage. Started first turn of the key and motored up stream to fish. Going to head back, turned the key and nothing. Got back with the trolling motor.

In the driveway checked battery connecting at the motor and voltage is good. Battery is charged up good. Tried to start a few times in the driveway and part of the time?.nothing?no click, no turn over?nada. The other part of the time, it starts first turn of the key and runs fine (flushing with ear muffs).

Kill switch was in the run position. Fuse on the motor is ok. Quicksilver remote control was in the neutral position (and I took it out and put back in neutral to make sure).

Any thoughts? There's no way I'm going out again until I get this figured out. While out on the water I fiddled with it as I trolling motored back for 45 minutes. Nothing. In the drive way it's started part of the time, other times nothing. Sometimes only a minute apart.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 99 Mercury Bigfoot 25hp Intermittent no start problem

Check your battery terminals and/or other starter/solenoid connections, perhaps the ignition switch, flat spot in the starter. Clean everything, and check ignition switch terminals for starters.....no pun intended. Probably research the process for jumping the solenoid and/or neutral switch next time it happens.

1Lhorn

Cadet

Thanks for the input. It's a lightly used boat and motor. The connections largely look great. Most of them are painted with some type of coating, I suspect from the factor to prevent corrosion. I've been thinking about it more and since turning the key results in absolutely nothing, I would think the problem with have to be in the Quicksilver control box (ignition switch, neutral lock out switch or kill switch) or the solenoid. I know the battery cable connections are good. It was 95 degrees today if that matters. I know an old car I used to have had hot start issues.

I agree. I have to figure this out or figure out how to jump the starter or bypass the ignition switch so I can jump it or pull start it if needed. Thanks. I'll update when I know more.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Looks are deceiving, Take each apart and polish them.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Have you verified the neutral safety switch in the remote. The next time it won't start, try moving the shifter just a fraction fore and aft with the key in the start position. If it engages, you will know where the problem is.

Do you know what type of remote you have?

Gerry

1Lhorn

Cadet

It's a Quicksilver Commander 2000 remote.
I think the neutral safety switch is OK. I actually opened up the controlled and tested continuity of the neutral safety switch. In neutral, there is continuity across the two terminals on the switch. In forward or reverse there is no continuity.
Again, it's an intermittent problem. I feel like it might be the ignition switch or the solenoid, but leaning toward the solenoid. Hopefully it will act up today so I can test some more.

1Lhorn

Cadet

I think I got it figured out. As I suspected it's a hot weather no crank issue and since it was blazing hot today I went out at noon, turn the key and NADA.
Turned the key to the on position and used a heavy gauge wire to jump across the two large terminals on the solenoid (basically bypassing the solenoid and sending 12 volt straight to the starter). It started up and ran perfect. It's not the kill switch because it shouldn't run with a faulty switch (and also a bad kill switch would allow it to crank, just not run).

I put a multimeter on each of the two small terminals on the solenoid (one at a time). Turning the key to the start position, 12 volts should be getting to one of those terminals to tell the solenoid to send power to the starter. Nothing…no voltage.

Came back late tonight in the cool of the evening. Engine started first crank and the upper of the two small terminals now gets 12 volts when the engine is cranked.

So the starter is fine since it cranks when I jump the solenoid.
The solenoid is fine since it either works or does nothing based on getting a 12 volt signal from the remote control.
So I suspect it's either the ignition switch or the neutral safety switch.
When I opened up the remote control box yesterday I tested the neutral safety switch with the ohm meter and it worked fine at a time when the engine wasn't cranking.

Therefore it must be the ignition switch. At least if I"m wrong I know I can jump the motor if it won't start. I'll be ordering a new ignition switch and hopefully that'll fix it.

Last edited: