1977 Mercury 115 wiring ?????

intimidtr3

Cadet
I just brought home a 17' Champion with a 77 115 Mercury that has been sitting. First thing I went to do was pull carb to soak and someone had already started and took all the small gauge wires off the block. I believe there are 6-7 small wires go onto a block at the front of the engine. I cannot find a diagram anywhere! I will be putting back together tomorrow but, really need to know where wires go for it to start and run. Please help me. A picture or diagram would be perfect.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Mercury 115 wiring ?????

Normally the switchbox will have colors on the mounting studs that match the color of the wiring. Black is ground; red is +12VDC; White is ignition power; Grey is choke; orange or salmon is unused; brown is tach signal; yellow is starter solenoid;

The switchbox will have 3 wires (black, brown, white) on the port side. These go to the distributor. On the starboard side of the switchbox, will be red, white, Green. Green goes to the coil. The brown wire (not distributor) goes to the rectifier. Either of the yellow stator wires can power the tach.

intimidtr3

Cadet
Re: 1977 Mercury 115 wiring ?????

Thank you for th he info. Makes me feel kind of dumb. Didn't realize they were colored like that.