1986 mariner 175 hp oil injected system

antonio88

Seaman
I just wanna know how hard or if it's even possible to remove the oil injection out of this motor I heard some people that they do this to the evinrudes, but the process is so simple at the evinrudes, so that was my question please some body help me!!!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 mariner 175 hp oil injected system

I have a 90 with the built in oil tank and oil pump. I merely pulled the pump, removed the drive gear, checked for any loose associated bushings or washers and reinstalled the pump. Took all of 10 minutes. I drew a line on my oil tank at the (then) current oil level to periodically check to ensure I was no longer using any oil from the tank.....after a couple of years, I'm not.

On the larger engine you may have 2 tanks, one onboard and the other boat mounted but I don't see that making any difference. I would assume you would have a similar oil pump with a similar drive gear which you just pull out to remove. I would also assume that since a low oil condition results in a ground being sent to the alarm, if you have an accessible connector on the tank, just pull it to ensure the circuit remains in the open state with no ground for the alarm. I left my alarm intact and have had no problems.

HTH,
Mark

antonio88

Seaman

So in other words is basically just disconnect everything associated with the oil system and just premix the gas and oil in the tank

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

So in other words is basically just disconnect everything associated with the oil system

In doing that you have to ensure that you cap off/plug any oil line port that is associated with the fuel inlet to the engine. Like on my 90, the fuel line comes into the engine and a few inches down the hose is a Y adapter where the output of the oil pump injects the oil into the raw fuel. If I had removed all my oil plumbing, I would have had to cap off that leg of the Y fitting. I chose not to touch a thing other than the gear. I thought is simpler and easier. I haven't been sorry.

Mark