1995 Mercury 115 stator and rectifier

ledouxmike

Cadet
I have a 1995 Mercury 115 that has had the stator changed. The mechanic put a CDI stator with part # 174-5454K1. He replaced the factory voltage regulator/rectifier with a small old school rectifier. Not sure if it's CDI or not. The voltage regulator is no longer working and has been disconnected. I read last night on CDI's online installation guide not to install this stator on post 1988 motors with glued in magnets. Well, that's what I have. Is this a really bad thing and why?
The engine runs great, it's only the battery charging that's not working at the moment. What should I do to rectify the problem? Should I get another CDI rectifier like the one that's installed in there now. Its a small rectifier that screws to the same metal plate as the switch box, or should I replace the stator with the correct one and factory style rectifier/regulator and wire harness that came with the boat? thanks in advance.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 Mercury 115 stator and rectifier

What is your engine s/n?

Here is the CDI p/n called out for a '95, 115:

Results | CDI Electronics

Notice that this one requires the use of a voltage regulator.

Note: 174-9710K1 requires a voltage regulator, DO NOT USE WITH A RECTIFIER ONLY.

Gerry

ledouxmike

Cadet

What is your engine s/n?

Here is the CDI p/n called out for a '95, 115:

Results | CDI Electronics

Notice that this one requires the use of a voltage regulator.

Note: 174-9710K1 requires a voltage regulator, DO NOT USE WITH A RECTIFIER ONLY.

Gerry

Thanks I found the same CDI part # last night on CDI's site. What will happen if I leave the stator that in there right now just like it is? Will it damage anything?

sam am I

Commander

Might consider saving a few bucks....2 yrs running now, no problems, run cool and stable and spot on output voltage regulation, low load to high load!!! 5 Star ratings.....What more could you want? Most likely the above folks buy their parts/have theirs assembled by the same company anyway, they just triple the marked up is all! Geeesh, get a spare even and still keep some cash in your pocket. Ya gotta love Amazon!!

Amazon.com: Rectifier / Regulator Mercury Mariner Outboard 12 Volt 6 Wire NEW: Automotive

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral

The stator you have on at present, 5454K1 is a 9 amp and the one that is supposed to be there, 9710K1 is a 16 amp. I am not going to tell you if it will damage anything. There are the warnings you can read about glued/bolted magnet installations, use of voltage regulators and rectifiers and they are there for a reason. I don't know why your mechanic installed the wrong parts but I would be talking quite seriously to him.

What was the original problem with your engine that caused him to change the stator?

You haven't provided your s/n yet as I was going to get you the parts list and service manual.

Gerry

ledouxmike

Cadet

The stator you have on at present, 5454K1 is a 9 amp and the one that is supposed to be there, 9710K1 is a 16 amp. I am not going to tell you if it will damage anything. There are the warnings you can read about glued/bolted magnet installations, use of voltage regulators and rectifiers and they are there for a reason. I don't know why your mechanic installed the wrong parts but I would be talking quite seriously to him.

What was the original problem with your engine that caused him to change the stator?

You haven't provided your s/n yet as I was going to get you the parts list and service manual.

Gerry

Serial # is OG198724

If I install the CDI 174-9710K1 stator, should I install a CDI 194-5279 rectifier/regulator or install an oem mercury 8M0084173. I read on one of the forums that the CDI regulator has a high voltage at high RPM's. The mechanic also took out the wire harness that goes from the factory regulator to the power pack. So I need to replace that and possible another wire harness, not sure. 821546A3 is the part # I suspect as one of the wire harnesses I'll need.

My stator melted and so did the regulator. My engine started smoking and I had to unplug the connections to the regulator. The mechanic told me he put that style so I wouldn't have my stator overheat and melt on me like the first one did.

So to swap out the whole system, I know I need a stator and regulator that are made for my engine, but which wire harnesses will I need. thanks

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - (115 H.P. (1995 ))
Serial No: 0G198724 Model No: 1115412RD

Parts list for model 1115412RD:

100/115/125 H.P. 80 JET (4 CYLINDER) - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

821546A3 is the correct harness for your s/n as you see under ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS (USA: 0G437999/BEL: 9926999 AND BELOW

Did the harness burn up as well??

The service manual you require for your engine is 90-830234. See my message to you in Notifications at the top of this page.

Here is a contact number for tech service at CDI, 1.866.423.4832. Before purchasing anything, I think you should give them a call and explain everything that has happened to your engine as they will have the very latest information and advice on how to proceed. You are talking to us, your mechanic and the internet. You may as well talk to the one source who will have warranty backup.

Gerry