Tracker Mariner 40HP Electrical Fire

wcmallonee

Cadet
IMG_0284.jpg

1994 Tracker Mariner 40 HP ELPTO

Motor caught fire the other day, and this is the result. I know it is impossible to say without getting into what works and what doesn't, but I would like your opinions on if you think this is worth trying to repair, or if I should look for a replacement motor.

I am going to remove the plastic cover over the electrical area that is melted to inspect the damage. I disconnected the battery and fuel line. Is there any danger of shock by poking around under there?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Tracker Mariner 40HP Electrical Fire

With the battery disconnected, you will have no problem removing the covers.

How long did the fire last? Hard to say until you get the covers off. Does it just seem to be localized to this area?

Gerry

wcmallonee

Cadet

Gerry - Thank you for responding! The fire was limited to this one little area. It started at the bottom of the area you can see burned, and moved upwards. I think that just the plastic cover over that area burned, and not everything there. I believe a wire or something shorted out at the bottom, igniting the fire, and it grew. It lasted about 5 minutes after I first noticed a little smoke. I was about 2 miles from the marina, and ran there at the first sign of smoke. I didn't know I was on fire at first, I thought it was overheating or something like that. When I stopped at the dock and cut off the engine, I then saw A LOT of smoke, and tried to get the cowl off, but I made the mistake of touching it, and that baby was HOT! So I got a guy to come over and take my fire extinguisher, and I pulled the cowl off with a towel and glove, at which time he saw flames and blasted it with the extinguisher.

It may even still run, I haven't tried, and wont until I get it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing. I was hoping to get an idea of how bad this looks before going to the repair shop. I know computers and electronics from that perspective, but know nothing about engines and motor electronics. Any advice you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again -

Bill

Last edited:

Mi duckdown

Commander

My .02 that looks bad. Going have to see how many wires are burnt. and why it happened. So to answer, Got nothing.
Sorry for No Help.

wrench 3

Commander

I'd go looking for a salvage yard that has a blown motor that you could strip what ever you need off of.

wcmallonee

Cadet

No that's Ok, just your opinion is help, and exactly what I need to hear. Thank you.

I have been looking at parts diagrams in the manual I found online, and I believe the fire started in the Voltage Regulator. It looks like I will also need a new Engine Wire Harness, and maybe the TPM, possibly even more. Next I guess I should look up prices for those parts, and see if that alone makes it not worth repairing.

How much will I have to spend to get a decent used mid 1990's 40-50HP Motor with Power tilt, electric start, oil injection and controls? Or where/how can I find out what it should cost? Can I use the controls from my Mercury/Mariner 40 on other Manufacturer's Motors, or do I need to stick with Merc to use my existing controls? Sorry for so many dumb questions, but thanks for your advice.

wcmallonee

Cadet

Thanks Wrench 3, good idea. I am not having that much luck finding any marine junk yards around me, but still trying. I am on Lake Oconee in GA.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Well if it was my engine, I would be taking a close look at it to see what damage has been done because aside from plastic covers being melted and some wire replacement and a few electrical components, you may get away for far less cost than an engine replacement. That is just my opinion.

Gerry

Mi duckdown

Commander

It started low, then melted everything above. .02

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Like;y rectifier/regulator fire.....

wrench 3

Commander

Thanks Wrench 3, good idea. I am not having that much luck finding any marine junk yards around me, but still trying. I am on Lake Oconee in GA.

I'm afraid I can't help you much with that. I'm up in Ontario.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hope you can find the needed parts, WC.