Merc 80 w thunderbolt ignition

mercuryman80

Seaman Apprentice
I have changed plug wires using high tension copper core wires , replaced both coil and sparkplug terminal ends.
The problem is I have arcing wires everywere the # 4 plug wire is a 22inch blue line in the dark arcing around coil packs arcing out of cylinders 1 2 3 also but not as bad as 4 I have blue arc over all 4 spark plugs between the boot and block on the insulation portion of the plug I'm suspecting a ground and thoughts would be greatly appriciated ! 🐟⚓⚓🐟🐟⚓⚓🐟

mercuryman80

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Merc 80 w thunderbolt ignition

I also will add I did change the plugs again using buhw-2

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I am not sure I can pinpoint a missing ground strap that would cause that, however, that is an easy test. Those motors had ground straps from the cylinder head water jacket to the lower cowling. The lower cowling had the main ground. I would install some ground wires and see if it gets fixed.

mercuryman80

Seaman Apprentice

Snapped bolt on head holding terminal for ground strap can this be tapped without worries ?

mercuryman80

Seaman Apprentice

I will forward pics tomm bolt snapped off flush

mercuryman80

Seaman Apprentice

Here is the picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, Install some temporary ground straps. From spark plug base to lower cowling, would seem to be a good start. Now test it out. Don't worry about the snapped bolt unless she leaks a lot of water. Then caulk the leak and move on.