2001 Merc 90 lower motor mount

merclund

Cadet
Good day to everyone

I have a 2001 Merc 90 2 stroke #OT369333. I took it out for the first time this season and everything worked good. When I was wiping it down when I got back a noticed a slight movement in what looks like the mount assembly on the drive shaft housing. I could move the leg both front and back and side to side just a little bit. Everything looks correct and tight I was just wondering if this is normal to have a little movement on this engine. It doesn't vibrate excessively when under power or at idle. It also has low hours maybe 150 or so. This is the first time I have noticed it but I also never had checked this either, I have owned the motor since new. The local dealership mechanic looked at it and said it is nothing to worry about, some motors had a little freeplay built in. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2001 Merc 90 lower motor mount

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 90 H.P. (2001 ))
Serial No: 0T369333 Model No: 1090412YD

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0T369333:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

The service manual you require for your engine is P/N: 90-830234. If you do not have this manual, see my message to you in Notifications at the top of this page.

If you look at items 2/3, seals and bushing under Swivel Bracket and Steering Arm, this is usually the wear area as the seals and bushing get pounded out. As well you may find deterioration in the area where the splines of the pin, item 9 contact the splines of the yoke, item 15.

Gerry

merclund

Cadet

Gerry
Thank you for your reply. How involved of a job is something like that and if there is only slight movement can the motor still be used as is being I don't put many hours on it.

Thanks again

carholme

Rear Admiral

I certainly wouldn't worry about it for now. That should be a winter project as it is a bit of work to tear it all down.

Gerry

merclund

Cadet

Gerry
I went out and looked at it again. I don't see much movement with the swivel bracket and steering arm. If I grab the skeg and pull back there is 1/16 of an inch of play where the screw (#10) and mount (#9) are located in the driveshaft housing breakdown. The nuts (#14) are tight, so is it ok to have that play there? The merc mechanic said he has seen some outboards that have a little play and not to worry, but I love asking for second opinions on this forum.

Thanks for your responses.

carholme

Rear Admiral

I guess you are talking about the lower mounts under Driveshaft Housing(USA 0T801000/ BEL 0P268000 and Up). They are easy to check by removing cover 18 and clamp 15 and seeing where the play is. Not unusual to see a little play there and what I have done is made half moon shaped shims to fit in there to keep things tight. I want the rubber mounts to do the work, not loose mounts banging around.

Gerry