1998 mercury Optimax won't start

mt.thunder

Recruit
I have a 1993 Procraft 1750 Profish with a 98' Mercury optimax 150 on it. It has not been used in seven years. This is a basket case folks. No gauges, the engine was taken off of it and just needs some work. The first thing I want to do is start to motor to make sure this project will be worth it. I have taken out all the old gas and put in fresh. Same with the oil. Put the motor on and attached all the controls. I have found most of the hoses and hooked them up. Taken out all the plugs and re-gaped them. I have tried to start it and it just wont take off. It will try every now and then but just wont commit to running. What do I need to do next to fire this bad boy up?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 mercury Optimax won't start

First need to clean the VST tank and hi pressure pump and filter. Then you will need to flush fuel rails and send injectors off to have cleaned and tested(Brucatosvs.com)

mt.thunder

Recruit
Re: 1998 mercury Optimax won't start

Sounds like my weekend will be full. Thanks for the advice. What is the VST tank? I can find the Hi pressure pump, filter, fuel rails and injectors in the manual but not the VST. I will tear it apart this weekend and see what it looks like on the inside.

Last edited: