1978 mercury 80hp Throttle Questions

My mercury has been having throttle issues in neutral. It throttles extremely high in neutral with lots of exhaust. When you shift it into forwards it still throttles high but not as bad. Not Shure if this is my Carburetors needing to be adjusted or just my throttle cables I just put on.
Thanks For answers

mr 88

Commander
Re: 1978 mercury 80hp Throttle Questions

Well if it was running okay before you installed the new cables,that is your problem,they are out of adjustment.

I never ran the boat before I put them in. When I bought the boat it didnt come with them. So I had to buy new ones,
I'm checking the Lu this week to see if the impeller or water pump has gone from the first tim i ran the motor nothin has come out the pee hole so today I ran a wire through it and pulled it out and it had mud and grass on it
How can I unplug the pee hole?

mr 88

Commander

Start the motor and take the throttle cable off,adjust your throttle to where you want it,then adjust the cable nut to that posisition.Keep doing what your doing to clean out the weep hole. Probably would be a good idea to change the impeller and or get a low water pressure gauge [ the Mercs have low pressure/ high volume,,,5-8 lbs of pressure] that taps into your block.The old impeller may be dry rotted,so why worry about blowing the engine up because you thought it was good. The weep hole will usually take time and a slightly raised RPM level to work.

Last edited: