How to prime Oil pump(optimax)

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently changed my air compressor and need to prime the oil system to ensure the air compressor has oil in it.

Is there a way to prime the system without the use of a DDT?

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to prime Oil pump(optimax)

You can use the "shift switch activation procedure", but by doing this, the outboard resets to break-in mode, which means you will be using a bit extra oil for the break-in period. I would recommend you have the oil pump primed by a dealer with DDT or CDS software to avoid the break-in mode. However, if this is inconvenient:

Make sure your oil reservoirs are both full, and you have a fully charged battery. With the kill switch in the ON position, turn the key to ON position, and move the shift lever from neutral to fwd 5 times. This must be done within 5 seconds of turning the key to ON.

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If all i did was change the air compressor is it necessary to prime the oil system? Both tanks still have full levels. Could i preoil the compressor by forcefeeding oil into the input hose until it is see. Exiting the output hoses on compressor?

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

If all i did was change the air compressor is it necessary to prime the oil system? Both tanks still have full levels. Could i preoil the compressor by forcefeeding oil into the input hose until it is see. Exiting the output hoses on compressor?

I would be hesitant to do this- even the loss of lubrication for a few seconds to the compressor at idle rpms could damage the compressor. Best to prime the oil system- even if your outboard reverts to break-in mode, the extra oil consumption for a cupla hours will hardly be noticed.