1966 Mercury 1100 110 hp Starter question.

wolfsterman

Cadet
This may seem like a stupid question for some that are veterans, but I just wanted to know if the starter motor and starter solenoid were 2 actual different parts on the motor? I have researched, and I have concluded they are.

I am asking this because my starter motor turns when the key is engaged, but doesn't engage to the fly wheel to crank the motor, so just want to make sure that I am wanting to replace the correct part, which I am guessing would be the solenoid which is just below the actual starter motor? Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks. :)

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1966 Mercury 1100 110 hp Starter question.

The selinod is separate from the starter. If the starter turns when the key is switched to start the motor and dose not move the bendix gear up the starter drive shaft the bendix needs to be clean and lubed with a very light thin oil.
JMO
Oldman570

bassboy416

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If your starter motor turns when you hit the key, but it won't turn the flywheel pay attention to what is happening... There is a part called the bendox gear (I'm new to this so don't take my word for it and mind my spelling) that is supposed to engage and spin upwards to help the gear meet with the flywheel. Like oldman said, start by lubing and checking... Generally, it is easy to get the starter out... spin it both ways... make sure it will rise up on the shaft to contact the flywheel. lube it or replace it... ebay has a lot of great deals for aftermarket starters.. Just got one for $68 that works fantastic! Solenoid should be down the line... Follow the wires down from the starter... Should be two terminals which you could try and "jump" with either alligator clips or a screwdriver to find out if thats the problem.... I'd bet starter....

wolfsterman

Cadet

Thank you for your responses. I decided to go ahead an order an 'aftermarket starter' off of ebay. It was only $66. I prefer to just fix the problem now since I have already removed the old starter. I would rather just repair the problem now and prevent future breakdowns on the water.

bassboy416

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Excellent choice in my opinion... Much worth the peace of mind on the water... I've bought 2 aftermarket starters, one for a chrysler and one for my 1974 merc 1150... The chrysler took a little work to get to fit in existing housing, the merc fit perfectly without having to change anything.... both under 70 dollars from dw electric or something like that and both still working great to this day... lube up your other starter and try and get it in better condition and you'll have a great backup in an emergency.... Would love to hear an update on your success!

wolfsterman

Cadet

@ Bassboy, I plan on receiving the aftermarket starter on Monday, and will install it then, and hopefully get to take my boat out mid week sometime. Will let you know how everything goes. Thanks again for all your help.