4000 Gen II Side Mount Friction Adjustment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim_s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for yet another throttle friction adjustment question, but I can't find anything anywhere that gives a consistent answer on this. (aside from a service bulletin about the Gen II, with the dreaded words, "Throttle handle friction pre-set at factory." - which I fear means there's no friction adjustment...)

I've got the 4000 Gen II Side Mount controller, as per the attached picture. (Not a picture of mine, but appears identical to mine, minus the nice wood mount... :eek:) I purchased this used, and ran it on the water for the first time today. It won't stay at or near WOT - eases back to about 1/2 throttle over the course of 10-20 seconds, so have to hold it in position above about 1/2 throttle.

I looked for an obvious friction adjustment screw or such, but didn't see one (this was looking at the mounted unit - I of course hadn't realized when putting it in, that it wouldn't hold position, so didn't look on the control box that went behind the side panel.) There is a bushing on the pistol grip shaft - don't know if this can be monkeyed with to provide any additional friction, if there are no adjustment screws or such.

Thanks!

info update - part number on unit is 883710 A03

Attachments

• 4000GenII.jpg
    4000GenII.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: 4000 Gen II Side Mount Friction Adjustment?

Yes, the 4000 should have a friction screw and you should be able to find it on the control mechanism and you may be able to see it if you remove the decorative back and front trim panel covers behind the handle.

Item number 1, http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/remote.html#/292

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/remote.html#/296

In some cases more friction can be applied to the throttle cable by putting additional preload tension to the throttle cable at the engine side.

Hope this helps, good luck.:)

jim_s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fun Times - you were right! Got down to the marina today and peered up under the side of the boat (I didn't drill a hole in the side that would allow access to the nut, since I didn't even realize the nut was there <:), sure enough, the nut is there! Took quite a few micro-turns, due to limited space up in there, but finally got it snugged down nicely. Its a fine line, for sure - about 1/4 turn made the difference from too lose to too tight, once I finally got it cranked down far enough. Its holding like a champ now!

Thanks a bunch!!

jim_s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fun Times - I looked through those manuals (Thanks for the links, those are *great*!), but couldn't find anything about preloading the Gen II cables - can you describe how you'd go about that? (I'm thinking that maybe a combination of the two - friction on the lever, and some added drag/tension on the throttle cable only - might be the ideal solution.)

Thanks Again!

mounty

Cadet
Sorry for yet another throttle friction adjustment question, but I can't find anything anywhere that gives a consistent answer on this. (aside from a service bulletin about the Gen II, with the dreaded words, "Throttle handle friction pre-set at factory." - which I fear means there's no friction adjustment...)

I've got the 4000 Gen II Side Mount controller, as per the attached picture. (Not a picture of mine, but appears identical to mine, minus the nice wood mount... :eek:) I purchased this used, and ran it on the water for the first time today. It won't stay at or near WOT - eases back to about 1/2 throttle over the course of 10-20 seconds, so have to hold it in position above about 1/2 throttle.

I looked for an obvious friction adjustment screw or such, but didn't see one (this was looking at the mounted unit - I of course hadn't realized when putting it in, that it wouldn't hold position, so didn't look on the control box that went behind the side panel.) There is a bushing on the pistol grip shaft - don't know if this can be monkeyed with to provide any additional friction, if there are no adjustment screws or such.

Thanks!

info update - part number on unit is 883710 A03

Can i bring this back to life? I'm unable to get to the links, are they still available?

Status
Not open for further replies.