2001 75 mercury wont even try to turn over!!!!!

FishinDave

Seaman Apprentice
2001 75hp Tracker Mercury will not even attempt to start when the key is turned. It isn't doing nothing as if there is no power getting to the motor to start it. Ran great last year but know it wont even try to start. I charged the battery, checked the battery fuse and still not a thing. I am going to test the battery tomorrow to see if it is holding a charge. Is there a fuse anywhere on the motor I should check. Any help with some things to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: 2001 75 mercury wont even try to turn over!!!!!

Clean ALL connections. Serial number of Motor would Help

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Yes on the fuse, should be 20 amp and close to the starting solenoid battery input post which not only supplies power to start the engine it is also used as a 12v distribution terminal. To check the high current and battery, I have used a pair of common pliers across the high current terminals of the solenoid. It should spark when you get across it and the starter should respond. If not check your battery and input wiring. If it does, check your fuse and control wiring. The red/yellow stripe wire from the control box should bring 12v to one of the small terminals of the solenoid when the ignition switch is rolled over to the start position.

Edit: Got any rats or mice around? Squirrels? They love to chew up wiring harnesses. I doubt your solenoid would go bad just sitting out the winter.

Mark

Last edited:

FishinDave

Seaman Apprentice

Mark thanks for your help. Today I tested the starter solenoid and the test was bad. I jumped(bypassed) the solenoid and the motor cranked over good. Then I removed the starter solenoid, cleaned connections, tapped on the solenoid a few times, reinstalled and this time tried to start the engine with the key and it it cranked over good. I turned the key off and tried to start it again and this time the starter turned, but slowly as if it did not have enough cranking amps to engage with the flywheel. I jumped the starter solenoid again and still a slow turning starter. What should I do? Replace the starter solenoid? Why is the starter turning slowly even when I bypass the solenoid and with good battery at 12.6 volts ?I'm thinking that there is still bad connection somewhere. Any help is greatly appreciated and a special thanks to all the Iboats members who take the time to pass on your knowledge. At some point in time we are all educated and then become the educator.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Take the starter apart and look for corrosion where the brushes make contact... I take all of my starts apart every couple of years and use fine cocus cloth to clean the commutator...