Water pump and stuff, 1996 75hp Mercury mariner.

Tuckered

Cadet
I'm replacing the water pump from motor. Th boat was purchased by my father a few years ago, and he performed little to no maintenance on it. He has given the boat to me, account he physically can't get around any longer.

The motor started having a couple of issues, and I felt the bass tracker probably needed a lot of maintenance done on it. I replaced the gear oil, it was pretty clean. But started reading about how often the water pump needed to be changed. It was due. The impeller was stuff, starting to fail, but hasn't yet. It was still pumping water, but it just looked a little slow.

I got the lower apart, discovered some fine sand inside hard to get to areas. Purchased a water pump kit from "a professional fishing store" and hence, that created a couple of questions:

The kit came with the impeller, 2 orange "o rings" a smaller orange ring. It also came with 2 yellow rings, for the gear oil screws. It came with a new restricted plate, of sorts, 2 gaskets and 2 black plastic boots. One is a tool used to help seat the other black plastic "boot" to the top of the metal housing for the impeller. There wasn't any on it, when I took it apart.

But I'm at a loss about the 3 orange rings. I didn't see any when I took the lower unit off do the motor. The plate that separates the bearings, connected to the drive shaft, didn't have a seal in the kit. So, I assume that your not to mess with the bearings, where the shaft enters the lower unit.

What's the little orange ring for?

The old impeller in the picture, is that backwards or is that correct?

Thank you!

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Water pump and stuff, 1996 75hp Mercury mariner.

What is the s/n of your engine and what kit number is the W/P kit you purchased?

Many generic and OEM kits include parts to cover many types of pumps.

Gerry

Last edited:

Tuckered

Cadet

Thank you for the quick reply!

The serial number of the motor is: 0G214860

Parts kit purchased: 47-43026K06

Last edited:

Tuckered

Cadet

Also, which shop manuals should I order, to get the best information about this motor? Thank you.

carholme

Rear Admiral

That s/n comes up as:

MARINER - ( 75 H.P. (1995 ))
Serial No: 0G214860 Model No: 7075412DT

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0G214860:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

The service manual you require is P/N: 90-830234. If you do not have this manual, see my message to you in Notifications at the top of this page.

I cannot verify that p/n in the parts list or other parts lists for this engine, though when googled, it does seem to indicate that the kit is valid for your engine. You do not use the orange O rings.

When the impeller is installed correctly as viewed from above, looking down on the driveshaft, the d/s turns CW, and the tips of the impeller should be trailing to the left. This is described well in the manual.

Gerry