2005 50hp elpto Broken prop shaft how do I swap the clutch dog ?

Dickcobra

Recruit
I have a 2005 50hp elpto 2 stroke. I hit a submerged tree on the lake yesterday (that used to have a marker buoy , but not anymore) . My prop and half of my prop shaft are now at the bottom of the lake. The prop shaft is broken just inside the Carrier assembly right at the bearing needle. I have removed the lower unit and when I turned the drive shaft it also turned what's left of the prop shaft. I removed the carrier assembly and also removed the broken prop shaft. So I have to replace the prop shaft, so my question is how do I remove the clutch dog from the broken prop shaft and put it on the new prop shaft ? I've googled for hours looking for an answer but no help yet. (I know that I have to replace the bearing seals and the carrier needle as we'll) . So please how do I do this ?

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 2005 50hp elpto Broken prop shaft how do I swap the clutch dog ?

Check out the attached pic of a typical shift clutch.

Yours should have the spiral spring steel retaining ring (50 in the diagram) wrapped around a groove machined in the O.D. of the shift clutch (48).

Find the free end of the retaining ring and "unwind" it off the clutch. You'll then be able to see the retaining pin (49). Press out the pin with a suitable punch/drift.

Here's an online library of Merc factory service manuals, which should provide much more detailed info for your lower unit repairs. Be sure to record your serial number so you can choose the correct manual.

Index of /lib/mercury/manuals

HTH, let us know how it goes........ed

Attachments

• Mercury Shift Clutch_Typical.JPG
    Mercury Shift Clutch_Typical.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 0