Key Start to Pushbutton ignition switch panel on 1971 Merc 800

cwoolfolk52

Cadet
I am looking for any advice on hooking up a pushbutton ignition switch panel that I have for a 1971 Merc 800. I'm not sure what the 3rd terminal is on the actual pushbutton. To a relay maybe? Do I leave it disconnected? There is continuity only between the 2 terminals I have colored black but everything else is open. A little help or a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated so I can get out on the water with my son. I also attached the wiring diagram for the old ignition.

Attachments

• M800_Wiring Diagram.jpg
    M800_Wiring Diagram.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
  • iphone 069.jpg
    iphone 069.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0
  • iphone 070.jpg
    iphone 070.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 0

cwoolfolk52

Cadet
Re: Key Start to Pushbutton ignition switch panel on 1971 Merc 800

Should I connect A-F-B to the button and A-F to the ignition run toggle switch with D-E? Can I incorporate the choke into the accessory toggle switch or does that have to be D-E for engine stop?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You need constant power on the white wire to have spark. What is the left switch labeled for?

If it were me, I would use a toggle switch for ign power on the white wire, and a push button for starter solenoid (yellow) and choke (Grey). What is the function of the start button? Momentary on?

cwoolfolk52

Cadet

Yes the Start button is momentary on, the left toggle under the flip cover is the ignition power, and the right toggle is accessory. I was thinking the choke on the right toggle, but if I can use the starter button as a push to choke and start that would be best. I also got them to send me a wiring diagram finally for the switch panel.

Attachments

• SWITCH PANEL INSTRUCTIONS.jpg
    SWITCH PANEL INSTRUCTIONS.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Switch out the right toggle switch for the same form and fit, but a momentary toggle switch for the choke. Connect the gauges to the left toggle switch. That is what I would do. Your will not need to choke the motor upon restart, after it is warm.

cwoolfolk52

Cadet

I really like the way it is set up now and I know I don't want a Momentary choke button. I don't want to have to push 2 buttons at the same time to start the boat, even for just the first start. I just need some reassurance on how to correctly wire the switches together so i can flip the power on, flip the choke on, and push the button to start it. I attached the drawing on what i came up with. Can you tell me if this will work? I really appreciate the help!

Attachments

• M800_Wiring Diagram.jpg
    M800_Wiring Diagram.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That will work, except don't forget to turn off the choke, after the motor starts. What is the purpose of the ground wire on the push button? Does it have a nite light?

cwoolfolk52

Cadet

Yes, the pushbutton is backlit with a red led. Thanks a bunch for the help!