1982 v6 225

evinrude20

Seaman
Hey everyone. I'm looking for insight into a probable purchase. A friend is getting rid of a '82 V225 and a 84' Bmax 150. The 150 has a blown cylinder, otherwise good, and the 225 has a bad stator or trigger (I think ). The 225 would start and idle and then die out on acceleration. A backyard mechanic told him that the crankshaft was bent and throwing off the timing. To me it seems that this wouldn't be the issue since it was never stopped hard, and still idles, leading me to believe its a stator. I'm hoping to swap electronics from the 150 to the 225, I've checked out all the replacement parts and they seem to use the same ones. It's a small investment of 200$ so I figured why not. Just looking for anyone with similar experience or thoughts! I don't have the 225 yet so I haven't done any spark tests, or compression tests. Hopefully Ill have that info in the next week or two.
Thanks!

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1982 v6 225

Bent crank huh. OK. Anyway its probably the high speed circuit of the stator. Could be other stuff too but its not a bent crank.

Dukedog

Captain

Your "backyard" mechanic should do just that, stay in tha backyard! Tha 'lectrics will interchange. Keep in mind though that tha '82 is a first generation block and tha '84 is second gen. You will see tha difference when ya get 'em side by side. Plus tha 150 vs. 225 thing. There will be several things that "look" like and will bolt up to tha '82 but won't work right on it. Best thing would be to keep as much of '82 on tha '82 'cept tha electrics which would be ok.

Your very first step is findin' an OEM manual which will be a chore. You may hafta settle for a little later model "200" manual but tha basics will be tha same. Then you can start tha process of check out and "makin' it run".........jmo

Don't assume and get tha cart ahead of tha mule. Just mho. Tha '82 really needs ta be nice before I'd put very many dollars in it bein' first gen block.....

Last edited:

evinrude20

Seaman

Thanks guys! Ya it was his mechanic, probably trying to scam some $$$ off him. I only plan on interchangong the electronics, if it's not looking like a keeper, I'll be leaving it and figure I can make back my 200$ in parts. Is there anywhere to get info on the different generations and models of black max's or is it something you have to learn from being a merc mechanic?

Dukedog

Captain

Might be some stuff on 'em scattered around tha internet. Don't know. I've just been at it for a very long time. Sometimes all these old, burnt up brain cells let me down nowdays though.

Are both of 'em complete motors?

evinrude20

Seaman

The 225 is all together with cowlings on a pallet, and the 150 I believe is in sections as the original owner was going to rebuild the top end. All the parts are there though. Also found a 84' v150 v175 v200 v225 oem manual. Would that work for the 225?

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain

Might come out ok even if ya gotta part both of 'em out. Long as ya consider your labor is cheap! Just keep in mind one is old and tha other is very old........gl