1990 60 HP Mercury Outboard Hard Shifting into Reverse

TX_Jester

Cadet
I have been helping my son restore a 1990 Aluminum Bass Boat and am down to the final throws. Issue we are having is that it is very hard to shift into reverse.

I have isolated it to the lower unit, I believe. With the lower unit off of the boat, it shifts equally well into forward and into reverse, but with the lower unit installed, it is extremely stiff (like have to raise up out of the seat and apply body weight to get it into gear).

However, if I shift it at the lower unit, I cannot tell a difference in shifting it into forward or reverse (difficulty wise).

But, the prop when in gear, either forward or revers, will ratchet one way and is engaged the other, but spins freely in neutral. Should it ratchet whether it is in forward or reverse? I am thinking it should only ratchet when in one or the other, but not both?

Also, is it possible that I need to check cable adjustment? I put new cables on it, matched to the same setup, length, and adjustment as what I took off while we were in the process of restoring everything else since they are 24 years old, but no idea if they were correct to begin with.

Any help determining where I need to do more trouble shooting, or what I need to look at is appreciated.

Also SN of motor is 0D041784

Any help or guidance here is appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 60 HP Mercury Outboard Hard Shifting into Reverse

Is the motor running when you do all this shifting ?-----------In forward the prop will ratchet one way and lock up the other way.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 60 H.P. (1991 ))
Serial No: 0D041784 Model No: 1060412LD

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0D041784:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

The service manual you require is P/N 90-817643R1. If you do not have this manual, see my message to you in Notifications at the top of this page.

Gerry

carholme

Rear Admiral

If it operates well with the LU off the engine, it suggests that the problem is elsewhere, in the box or the cables. To eliminate those areas first, disconnect the cables at the engine and see how freely your control box and cables feel. Remember that when advancing the shifter, the shift cable is the first to move.

Your prop should react as such, using finger pressure only to turn the prop:

Forward: Prop will turn (ratchet) CW but not CCW
Neutral: Prop will turn freely in either direction
Reverse: Prop will not turn in either direction except for the amount of gear mesh.

Gerry

papp101

Cadet

It could actually be cable issues. Try loosening the shift cable as it is attached in the motor. Also detach from the motor and untwist/unravel and possibly lube. Try forward and reverse while disconnected from motor and see what's going on, if it moves freely you're probably fine.

Also if it's quite tough while motor is running, make sure it's not trying to give too much throttle when attempting to engage reverse.

Let us know what you find!

TX_Jester

Cadet

If it operates well with the LU off the engine, it suggests that the problem is elsewhere, in the box or the cables. To eliminate those areas first, disconnect the cables at the engine and see how freely your control box and cables feel. Remember that when advancing the shifter, the shift cable is the first to move.

Your prop should react as such, using finger pressure only to turn the prop:

Forward: Prop will turn (ratchet) CW but not CCW
Neutral: Prop will turn freely in either direction
Reverse: Prop will not turn in either direction except for the amount of gear mesh.

Gerry

Gerry,

When I say it operates well, I mean the shifter/controls operate well with the LU off of the boat, this is why I felt like it was likely in the lower unit.

With the cables disconnected from the motor, they move freely also and yes the shift cable is moving first when advancing the cables, then the throttle cable moves, both in forward and reverse.

Prop turning is where I am a bit concerned, I will check this again tonight following your points above, it does turn freely both ways in Neutral, but I need to re-check what it is doing in Forward and Reverse per your comments.

Thanks for your feedback and I'll post back again once I have checked out these items.

Randy

TX_Jester

Cadet

Prop is responding in Forward, Neutral, and Reverse as stated above, all controls and cables seem fine when disconnected from the motor, with the lower unit removed, it is still much tougher to shift into reverse (using vice grips) than it is into forward, thinking it has to be in the lower unit.....guess I'll have to take it to someone to check out as I am not sure I want to dig into that myself....thanks for the feedback and help troubleshooting things guys.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

When shifting the motor into reverse you have to compress a strong spring ( extra effort required ) to do that.-----Prop should be turning when you shift into reverse from nuetral.----Or the motor must be running.--------Prop does not need to be turned when going from nuetral to forward.---Shifting from nuetral to forward is easier because that same spring is now helping you !----You also may need to check operation of a reverse lock mechanism.

TX_Jester

Cadet

I put everything back together, now it all seems like its working fine????