1985 Mercury 2.2HP - help to remove powerhead from midsection

snori

Recruit
I need to remove the powerhead from the midsection to fit a new gasket (around cooling waterways). Have removed starter cup, flywheel and 6 bolts securing the powerhead to the drive shaft housing. I expected to be able to simply lift the head off (I managed to do this job several years ago without the manual and cannot recall problems after removing the flywheel).

Although the powerhead is loose from the drive shaft housing (1mm play) it will not lift off the drive shaft. The manual says to remove the magneto baseplate but the screws are seized tight and I cannot see that this is preventing the powerhead from lifting further (I dont recollect removing the magneto baseplate when I last removed the powerhead).

My memory and the manual suggests that the base of the crankshaft has a square section which simply slots into the top of the drive shaft. Is there any obvious reason I have missed why the powerhead won't lift off? If I have to remove the magneto baseplate is there any good way to remove the 2 Philips screws (I note that the manual says to Loctite these screws when refitting!!)

Thanks for any tips anyone can provide.