Reused a used head gasket?

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a bad head gasket and I had a parts motor same year and size and the motor is in good shape I took head gasket off the parts motor and it looks good dont look bad at all y'all think it would be ok if I use that one?

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Reused a used head gasket?

I sure wouldnt reuse a used head gasket.........

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You sure you don't have a water jacket cover? Most Mercs have no head gasket that I know of. The head is integrally cast into the block....prevents head gasket problems....great idea for Merc.

If it's a WJ cover and looks good, degrease it with something like "brake parts cleaner" and put some blue RTV on both sides. Oh and clean up your mating surfaces on the engine (remove corrosion) too.

Mark

carholme

Rear Admiral

If your engine is still the '79 Mariner, it does have a cylinder head. I do not reuse head gaskets but many do if they are in good shape. At $30, it just doesn't seem worth the effort to reuse it.

Gerry

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a 1979 mariner 25 and I unscrewed the bolts all around the spark plugs and that head part came off and there was a gasket right there so I think that's my head gasket and it is bad

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If it is a head it contains spark plug threads. If a head you can look down into the cylinders and see the piston. If a water jacket cover it will have spark plug holes larger in diameter than the plugs, will be thinner, no threads and when you look into the engine you will see a water jacket and can't see into the cylinder.

So seems the consensus although limited, is in favor of getting another head gasket if that's what you have. Personally, I would too.

Mark

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Oh come on folks, I've seen McGiver use used engine parts all the time to make things work again. In fact I watch him use a nickel to weld a broken connecting rod once and it worked fine... :facepalm:

Seriously, If I needed a true head gasket and all I had available was a good used one, I'd try it and see. Worst it can do is not seal properly and then you'd have to buy a new one anyway. Of course I'd both check the compression and barrel test it before heading to the lake... But if it was indeed good and re-torqued to the proper ft/lbs of torque, I could see it working too. I'm really not cheap but also hate to discard good used parts as well if they can still be used again! I've seen many many folks reuse head gaskets for lawn mower engines many times without any issue.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

Have I reused gaskets on my own stuff.........sure! Am I going to recommend to the OP to reuse a gasket that I have not seen with my own eyes and then be responsible for him being stranded in BFE with a blown head gasket............nope.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

If I cannot afford a new gasket, then I just knock off the next weeks beer till I can afford a new gasket. Otherwise I take all the beer with me when I go out with the boat and hope the current and wind push me in the right direction for home. JMO
Oldman570

gm280

Supreme Mariner

midcarolina and oldman570. Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not suggesting the OP reused a head gasket for his engine. I merely told the truth about what I have done in the past. In fact I still reuse old gaskets on lawn mower carbs and such. Most of the time a disassembly small engine carbs and merely clean them and reassembly them again and mow on. So I do use old gaskets when it isn't a major issue. However, when I do refurbish any engine used for boats or vehicles I use new fresh gaskets because I just don't want to go back into them again. Hope that clarifies my previous post... :joyous:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

On an outboard there is a risk of water leaking into the engine.------Water that gets inside the engine can quickly ruin precision bearings , crankshaft and conecting rods.-----It is simply not worth doing for the long term.-----Only worth doing to test to see if a motor will run !!!

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok it's not hard to change u think I can just try and see what happens if it don't work then ill save money an get new one

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The used gasket will seal enough you will be able to start the motor, and it will run.

HOWEVER, Cyl pressure during combustion varies with the amount of load on the motor.

While your used gasket may seal perfectly at an idle, and at very small throttle in gear, All bets are OFF once that throttle opens up.

Cyl pressure during combustion can exceed 2000 psi at WOT.

WHEN, and notice I said when, not if, WHEN the head gaskets leaks while underway, combustion gases leak into the cooling system , displacing cooling water.

And what happens to a motor running WOT with little to no cooling?

It turns into a very expensive boat anchor.

$30 for a new head gasket is very cheap insurance against ruining your motor.

It isn't worth the risk.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I think the 2000 PSI is a bit of an overstatement for a 25 hp outboard.