1999 Mercury 225 EFI questions

nodima

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 1990 Mako with the Mercury engine on it and am in the process of documenting the wiring etc., and installing a new GPS Fishfinder combo which will mean redoing the helm.

At this point, all of the gauges are out of the boat, one of the issues identified is the tach only going to 4800 RPM at WOT. I believe the boat is overpropped, but noticed something on the back of the tach as well. In the below picture, you can see the directions for where to point the arrow for various cylinder comibinations, and i'm wondering if the previous owner had it incorrect? The arrow is definitely pointing at the 4, rather than the 2 it would seem is correct for the engine. Thoughts?

There is also another gauge which I'm questioning reinstalling. It looks like a set of warning lights, the previous owner brushed them off and basically said they don't work.

The only fuel gauge is on the tank itself, and I have a Garmin fuel flow meter, so I'm not worried about the fuel light. Is this gauge really necessary?

One mystery, in the wiring harness connected to this gauge is a male plug with 5 prongs inside a rubber sheath/housing, connected to two wires, one is tan with a blue stripe and the other is brown with a white stripe. Any idea what this may be for? I did not grab a picture of the plug end.

Thanks

My understanding is the 1999 Mercurys are not compatible with SmartCraft or other similar gauge packages.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Mercury 225 EFI questions

The tach setting is correct as it gets a 12pole signal to operate tach, the other guage will work on your motor....

nodima

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1999 Mercury 225 EFI questions

Awesome. Thanks, that makes sense.