1999 Mercury 90HP 2-Stroke flooding

niesz

Recruit
Hello. New to the forums as of today.

About a month ago I bought a 1999 Tracker 185 with a Mercury 90HP 2-Stroke. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

I'm still working a few kinks out of the engine, though. One thing I've noticed is that the engine floods very easily. After running 10-15 minutes to get to a spot, and setting for a while (while fishing), the next time you try and start the engine, many times it is flooded. And not just a little flooded... If you lift the engine forward all the way, fuel will pour out of it, about a 1/4 of a cup. When this happens, my usual solution is to disconnect the fuel line, left the fuel stop running, and then crank the engine. Sometimes it takes quite a few crank sessions to blow all the fuel out, but then it eventually starts.

Other times it fires right up on the first try.

The boat did not come with any manuals, so I'm kind of at a loss as to where to start. My guess is that there is some float valve that gets stuck, but I was hoping to get some insight from this forum before tearing apart the engine.

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.
Walter

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Mercury 90HP 2-Stroke flooding

Yes on some float valve somewhere stuck. Each of your 3 carbs has a needle valve that the float in the carb pushes closed when the bowl is full and shuts off the fuel flow. If that doesn't happen you will have an overflow of the fuel which will drain out when you tilt the engine and flood it when trying to start. Time for a carb cleaning/new kit. They sell them on the site.

Mark

carholme

Rear Admiral

Walter;

What is the s/n of your engine?

Gerry

niesz

Recruit

If you could please tell me where to find the S/N on the engine, I would be grateful. I looked for it before, but never found it. I'm sure I just overlooked it.

I'm assuming you need to know the S/N to recommend the kit to buy?

carholme

Rear Admiral

Serial Number Location

The Outboard serial number is located on the lower
starboard side of the engine block. A serial number
is also located on the starboard side of the swivel
bracket.

The disc on the power head will look like this:

http://imageshack.com/a/img84/8224/391496208.jpg

Need it to verify the year, correct parts list and service manual information.

Gerry

niesz

Recruit

Holy Magneto, Batman!! I think I've found it!

0G909880

niesz

Recruit

So, now that the S/N has been found (thanks to Gerry), is the guidance still the same? Carb Kit and Cleaning? Will that take care of the needle valve issue? ... or is there something there that needs replacing, too?

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 90 H.P. (1999 ))
Serial No: 0G909880 Model No: 1090412VN

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0G909880:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

You will see the carb kits as 8236354 REPAIR KIT-CARB under Carburetor.

The service manual you require is P/N 90-830234. See my message to you in Notifications at the top of this page.

Gerry