Merc 1500 - throttle cable or link n sync needed

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last year I took my control cables off my motor. I re-attached for this year, now I'm having a problem.

I have a 1975 Merc 1500.
I have the 1975 MerControl single handle control box.

With control box in neutral, motor on muffs, it starts just fine and idles around 950 RPM.

With motor off, I move control box throttle arm fully forward, but carb butterflys open only 15%.

I also notice the brass barrel of my throttle cable has to be a few threads from the end --closest to boat.

Is this a case of a stretched throttle cable that needs replacement ? (it is pretty old... maybe 8 yrs). Or do I need link n sync procedure (never did that, not sure of its purpose).

THANKS

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Merc 1500 - throttle cable or link n sync needed

The first thing to do is disconnect the cables at the engine. Then, to ensure the cables are connected properly, advance the shifter, closely watching the cable ends. The cable which moves first is the shift cable.

Gerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc 1500 - throttle cable or link n sync needed

Right, after you have done what Gerry recommended, do the following. With the motor in neutral, and the throttle control in neutral, make sure the shift cable is adjusted to match shift slider. The shift slider should be about centered in the shift slider. Next adjust the throttle barrel nut to allow the throttle to push the throttle closed.

Not recheck full throttle, motor not running. It should open the carbs near 100%.