Battery Relocation- Same Open Compartment as Fuel Tank

RadarJet

Cadet
With this new boat, both the starting and deep cycle batteries are located at the stern. It's an Alweld 1652 jet, with some small decking added. I want to move the deep cycle battery to the hatch just ahead of the console. The issue is that the fuel tank would be in the same compartment. The lid closes down pretty tightly which blocks vertical air movement, but there is a 1 foot by 2 foot horizontal opening in between the two, which makes me think that it will be ventilated enough. Should I add another vent in the door to be safe? Is this just a bad idea? The only time a connection would be made/undone is with the lid completely open. Would a better idea to move the battery under the console, out of my foot range- since there is plenty of space there. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• Storage 1.jpg
    Storage 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery Relocation- Same Open Compartment as Fuel Tank

There is likely enough ventilation, with that hole visible in the picture. Are the batteries going to be in boxes? The motor is an outboard, right?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Not an issue at all.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just make sure you use a battery box and hold downs for it. That would be the only concern for me. Plenty of boats share battery and fuel tank space.

RadarJet

Cadet

Yes, it is an outboard, and the battery will be secured in a box up there.
Appreciate all the responses. Thanks again. JD